Thursday, April 27, 2017

Memoir Recommendation / Texas History


A recommendation for you memoir and history enthusiasts.

It is really interesting to hear this gentleman’s description of his life in the late 1800s, between the Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso triangle. The language changes are intriguing, as is the distinction in culture in less than two hundred years. He summarizes in a few pages the coming of age of the Southwest, the railroad age, the evolution from pre to post civil war South, the ‘elimination of the Indian’. Yes…some is socially prickly. I found it particularly interesting to read about the home down, (El Paso, TX) ala 1881. 99 cents. Very worth a few minutes reading every night for tons of historical insight.





7 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I rather like a bit of history now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me curious. Cool !
    Best, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Texas for many years and would like to read this! Thanks for the link. And I'm very sorry about your precious Molly. Hugs to you and your wife, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. History/memoirs are right up my reading alley. Thank you. And drat you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been interested in how language changes over the years. The similarities and the differences can sometimes be surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the sort of thing I like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mac. My kind of stuff. I've just kindled it.

    ReplyDelete