Monday, February 6, 2017

Language in the Blood - Angela Lockwood

I finished a very quirky novel last week. Very different from what I normally share with you. I ask myself how it even got on my TBR list.

-        -  The cover isn’t great.
-        -  The blurb doesn’t hook
-        -  The Amazon description is as much about the author as the novel

-        The blurb didn’t hint at the tone of the book at all.

This is a dark novel. The humor is twisted. The story arc is weak. But it still works.

The selling point of this novel is how different it is.

Every chapter is its own story, very loosely connected to the next. Each centers upon a character that impacted the main character’s life.

Don’t look for outstanding craft. (A lot of tell, not show. The dialogue is abysmal. Format lacking.) But the writing was gritty-good. I laughed out loud a couple times between my groans. (Warning: if you can’t handle animal abuse, go elsewhere. I almost closed the book several times because of it. Nothing gory, the reference just not appealing to me.)

So if you read vampire noire, don’t mind twisted humor, give it a try.

As I type, it’s even free. Here on Amazon.


Have you read "Slugging Pitchers" yet? Short little story.

7 comments:

  1. This, what you wrote, makes me curious. But is my English good enough to read it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a few Scottish words, but I didn't set out to write complex prose. I think you'll be fine. As long as you're not squeamish! Enjoy, it's free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela . . . thanks for dropping by. I am bad about noting my nits, but I hope you don't hate me. We writers need thick skin. It's hard sometimes :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review. This was my first novel and I had a lot of fun writing it. I think my last novel'Conversations with Tom' keps it's quirkyness, but dialogue and general story arc are better. We all need to grow as writers and feedback is so very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the right attitude. I even hate what I say about my own, earlier work. *smile*

      If you would like to try out one of my novels...let me know. Its yours :)

      That way you can critique me back. Aha!

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have thought about looking twice at this book until I read what you wrote. Now I'm adding it to my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice that the author stopped by - it sounds like you enjoyed it, kinda'!!!

    ReplyDelete