Thursday, May 19, 2016

Strange Magic - James A. Hunter - A Shout Out

Greetings from the Hermit Writer.

[I only do shoutouts when I like a book enough to recommend it. I don't do reviews because I'm very hard to please, so don't want to run off readers, where in reality my nits probably wouldn't bother the typical reader.]

James Hunter has a sarcastic wit which checks off my most important requirement. Strange Magic rates up there with anything I've read from Jim Butcher. His world building just as elaborate. I don't personally need that much (world building, ie explanation), but the typical paranormal reader will probably love it.

His writing is sharp. I'm a POV bigot, so love his close-and-personal first person.

Setting is enough to keep the reader 'there' without boring me. (I like a lot of action without a lot of narrative.)

This character is fairly reprehensible yet endearing. A murderer with morals. My kind of guy. (I really hate smokers though.)

Hunter's storyline, plot, sub-plots, voice, and description is tight to keep you turning pages. I will read more of this author. (Actually, I liked the author's voice so much I might beg him to collaborate.) So spend a buck and buy the book. You'll be glad you did.



4 comments:

  1. It certainly does sound interesting, but here in Australia it won't be a buck I'm spending, not with exchange rates the way they are.
    Was it you that put us on to Laini Taylor? Thank you so much, the books are some of the best I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you've hooked me into needing to hear his voice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mac, thanks for reading and for the shout out! Word of mouth is always appreciated. Thanks again and I'll definitely check out a few of your (many) works.

    ReplyDelete