Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Passage from my WIP - Introspection

I stripped off my wife-beater and undies and studied the figure in the mirror. I hate my hair. Vonda clipped it once a month to keep it off my shoulders, but long enough to tie in a pony. She said the rag-look helped me fit in as a street person. The tied-back look could be chic if necessary, and avoided a hand hold if I ever got in a fight.
How does a girl learn to use makeup? I imagined myself sitting at a foofy counter being tutored. Composed an excuse for total ignorance. Just off the Mennonite farm. Maybe I could look a little better than an ugly homeless woman. The bags under my eyes would be a task.
At least I have good teeth.
There was nothing to do with the scars. If I ever met a man I wanted to bed he’d vomit once he got me naked. I’d have to make sure any sexual adventures were in a dark room.
As though I’d ever entice a man. Vonda’s instruction had prioritized how to tell anyone to get lost, with vigor. Not draw them into a conversation. I flipped the mangy image a bird and started my shower.




10 comments:

  1. Powerful stuff, Mac. I can relate to the self-image problem :) Although, I have some tips for your character on bags under the eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell her buy a guy a couple of beers and forget about the make-up. hehe. So bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's not happy - and I'm sure there are good reasons for that, beyond being dissatisfied with her looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makeup? A mystery to me too.
    Intrigued with this latest work. And still agigtating on Mar's behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic description. I often flip myself the bird too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With your first two sentences I thought you were writing about a man. I like this little excerpt, and would like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well she is not full of self esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the very same thing as River when I read the first couple of lines. One should never jump to conclusions.

    ReplyDelete