Thursday, March 6, 2014

Free – An Unintended Consequence

Since finishing my last book a few nights ago, I've been selecting my next read from the top of my carousel. With over 800 books on my Kindle, there may be dozens I would kill to read NOW. But remembering one from another with so many to choose from—

I've read up to three chapters of seven novels in the last three evenings looking for my next read. Books I may have finished years ago, and eventually enjoyed (and gone on to read more of that author), if I'd given the author a chance. But with so many other options waiting for me, why trudge through a piece that doesn't perfectly match my current mood?

Free seems to be the only marketing technique we Indie authors use.

But every day I see another reason not to go that way.

I repeat to myself, "I'm creating assets I will own the rest of my life. They aren't overnight successes." I will one day write that one novel that takes off, and inspires thousands of readers to search their carousel for my name.

Until then, I'm not going to give away my assets that I worked very hard to create, for free.

And that is what's tumbling around in my head.

Have a great day


-R. Mac Wheeler
HomeContact …KindleNookGoodReadsSunday Safaris

6 comments:

  1. Not so much a rant. More like wisdom. I think your attitude is perfect. You go Mac!

    Read through six chapters of your book last night. I really don't find too much enjoyment from books that aren't total chick reads...but I must say, it's good. I was flipping right through pages fully enjoying myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOA definitely not chick lit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really! Even at 99 cents or 1.99 or even 2.99 ebooks are a great price, and we don't take them for granted as much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you R Mac, keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you too on this one. My problem in general is that there are just too many books I'd like to read and know I never will

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only more authors thought of their writing as assets! I have always thought giving it away constantly devalues the work. I guess if you didn't work hard on your book, giving it away for free isn't that big of a deal.

    ReplyDelete