Monday, February 10, 2014

Donald Maass Caused a Stir? Really?

I've been reading the outrage arising from the recent Maass industry essay, and can't help but yawn. He didn't say anything I would disagree with. If his summary insults, my God…you're a writer. You need thicker skin.

I believe he only failed to stress three issues that would have added to the discussion:

1.      Americans don't read. 40 percent of your peers have never read a book in their lives. That is a scandal. Divide the rest of the market up, and shazaam, your odds are thin.
2.      If you expect a publisher to make you a living, you need another hobby. They are in it for their own good. Not yours.
3.   If you want to blame any single issue for poor book sales, consider how many authors give away their work. The free stuff from Indies has saturated the market. And honestly, 80% of it is far from ready to publish.

You want to be a successful author…there are a few who luck upon success…that is life…but as the saying goes, the harder I work, the luckier I get.


Have a great week


-R. Mac Wheeler

4 comments:

  1. Ah too bad. I was going to read this controversial essay, but it looks like the site is down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a pretty harmless post, nothing we haven't heard before, it was just that some of his word choices were a bit unfortunate (referring to writers as cattle etc). Writers love to nitpick over words, i guess.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree R, the harder you work, the luckier you get. I am a Breakout Novel Retreat alum, and I have to say I love Donald Maass's workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing new but good to be reminded. Many thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete