Saturday, January 4, 2014

"We should be much further along than we are..."


Historic Smoking Report Marks 50th Anniversary
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=259670783

I remember as a preteen my dad, mother, grandfather smoking in the car, me sitting there unable to breathe, eyes watering. I wasn't allowed to roll down the window, because the &^%$ air conditioner wouldn't work.

Immediately after my father finished his dinner, he lit up at the table, me sitting there still eating.


My stepmother's Kent cigarettes didn't give her lung cancer until she was in her eighties. There are few worse ways to die. My grandfather's Camels killed him in his seventies. My aunt's brand got her in her fifties. Her husband in his sixties. I can go on and on.

I abhor smoking. I resent the smell. I'm insulted by the ignorance. I hate that smoker's health issues represent forty percent of my health premiums. 


I despise what it does to our families.

Smokers represent to me the last remnants of a knuckle dragging species. With every fiber of my being, I
hate cigarette smoking and those who practice the disgusting act.

43 million Americans still smoke. Only half of the number who smoked 50 years ago. But 43 million too many. I agree with Donald Shopland, we should be much further along.


You have a loved one who smokes? Give them shit every day of their life. You have a coworker that comes in and makes the conference room reek, give them the biggest rash of shit you can engender.

Someone interviews for a job who smokes, point for the freaking door.

Make a statement.


End of rant.


-R. Mac Wheeler
HomeContact …KindleNookGoodReadsSunday Safaris

6 comments:

  1. Amen.

    Re: I despise what it does to our families.

    Not to mention what it does to our pets.

    Emphysema is a horrible way to die. And it's a very slow way to die. No habit is worth that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with smokers, too. My dad quit when he went in for surgery for his ear drum. Figured he couldn't smoke in the hospital, so he quit cold turkey. That was 30 some years ago (he's 88 now).

    My mother quit ONLY because she had a brain annurism, didn't remember ever smoking, so my dad threw out all the cigarettes and hid all the ashtrays! When she finally remembered she used to smoke, she smoked one and it made her sick, so she never went back. That was in 1983 (she's 81 now).

    They went from being smokers to hating eating in the smoking section! I thought, man, I GREW UP in the smoking section! Oh well... Better late than never! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect post, and your days growing up sound just like mine. Oh my goodness I couldn't stand being choked up in the back seat!My mother smoked up to the end of her days, yes, she got cancer, but was gone before she really knew it. My dad had so many breathing problems later in life, but it seems his heart gave out before his lungs. Hard to believe honestly. I can say that I fought with both my boys, and they too now are smoke free. My daughter never started, thank goodness. We do live in a much better world around here, as smoking laws are everywhere. I've always wondered if they can ban books, why hasn't someone totally and completely banded cigarette makers? Seriously. If someone wants to smoke, they can grab it from their garden! Hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my father smoking after eating breakfast.... when I was a pre-teen, he had an appendectomy and quit smoking in the hospital because he couldn't stand to cough! I smoked briefly at the end of college and early in my career...more tapping the cigarette than anything. Last week, my home state of Oregon instituted a law preventing adults from smoking in cars with minor children inside. I HATE cigarettes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree the smell is awful. Some co-workers come in wreaking of smoke smell, it is on their bodies and clothes and just hangs around. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in that world. Amen to everything you say

    ReplyDelete