Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Safari – Green Swamp Wilderness Preserve – Hampton Tract


Greetings from the Hermit-Writer. I spent 8 hrs. riding around in the swamp (Nov 24). Meant to spend 3 or 4 hours. Yep. Got lost more times than I could count. The map made the park seem laid out logically, but all the unmarked trails crossing the official trails, it was really easy to get off track. Wet and exhausted, under the dreariest day we've seen here in Florida this season (61 degrees; I should have worn a ski parka), I was really happy to finally cross paths with a couple hikers who could orient me. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

I had to take her picture. She glared at me from the point I came in sight


















http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/greenswamp-hampton_tract.html

Have a great week


-R. Mac Wheeler









2 comments:

  1. I have to keep a sharp eye out for many critters on my hikes, but not for alligators! However, the bovine picture reminded me of a hike I went on with my dog. The trail behind my house runs into BLM (Bureau of Land Management) property that is sometimes used as open range for nearby ranchers. I've had a couple of not-so-friendly encounters with our beefy friends. They are big and don't always take kindly to strangers in their midst, especially if they have calves around.

    ReplyDelete