Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Outlook as a replacement for READER


Converting from READER to MS Outlook isn't that fun--mostly because Outlook creates a folder for EVERY feed. 

You lose (as far as I can see) the ability to look at just a list of new posts.   [someone correct me if I'm wrong?] 

And every post will come across as unread. So you have to click through every folder and 'Mark All as Read'. 

But--if you only follow a few blogs, and already have Outlook up all day, you might like it.

You'll have to download your OPML file from Google Reader | Settings 




Then import the Subscriptions file from that zip file created ...follow the simple instructions in Outlook. [pasted below]


[before I did the import, I used win explorer to open the zip file, right-clicked the subscriptions file and pasted onto my desktop. Probably five other ways to do it...but that is how I got to the zip file...for all I know I could have opened the zip file in the Browse dialog in the import]


Have a great day.

(Did I mention I create e-book covers?)



Import a collection of RSS Feeds from an OPML file

Outlook 2010 supports the .opml file format for exchanging a collection of RSS Feeds and sharing configuration information between programs that can organize and display RSS Feeds.
  1. Click the File tab.
  2. On the Open tab, click Import.
  3. Select Import RSS Feeds from an OPML file.
  4. Click Next.
  5. Click Browse to specify where the file you want to import is located, and then click Open.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Select the Feed name check box for each subscription that you want to import.
RSS Feeds selection dialog box
Tip Click Select All or Clear All to quickly select or clear all of the check boxes.
Note You are importing only the subscription information, not the actual items from the subscription.


No comments:

Post a Comment