Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Writer's Voice – Reader's Ear


I introduced my idea of SPACe a couple weeks ago, a model representing two concepts, the writer's voice, and the tone of writing a reader prefers, that may propel them to a specific genre, or writer. 

I'm afraid I implied an either-or-mentality. My graphic suggested there is a lot of space between the styles/elements. Didn't mean that at all. Imagine if one was missing. How flat would the writing feel? It would be awful. Unreadable. All four are required.

I suggest this better graphic.

But I further suggest it isn't wise for the writer to target equal balance of the four elements. By nature, one timbre of writing will be more natural to the writer than another, and more importantly, readers have specific preferences, whether they are aware of it or not.

I also suggest a specific genre can naturally lean the writing style/writer's voice. Perhaps Suspense can tilt the timbre toward Setting and Plot.
Thrillers may lean toward Action and Character.
While a cozy mystery may read nicely with more Character and Plot.
What about Setting and Action? Would you buy Steam-punk?

Okay…but a writer's voice can conceivably lean a particular way despite the genre. If that is the case, I confess. I personally prefer Action and Character.

Have a great day!

-R. Mac Wheeler
Home PageContact me On KindleOn NookSunday Safaris



1 comment:

  1. I agree, your writing voice/style tilt towards character and action. Makes a good read.

    I think mine is more character and setting.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete