Monday, September 10, 2012

Writer's Voice


When I invited my writer buddies to tell me about their author-voice, I had a couple who teasingly said they had no idea. While I don't believe that for a moment, I call their bluff.

Here to help them figure it out:

- Do you imagine the character or the story line first?
- Do your crit partners complain you use too much or too little description?
- Is every scene oriented around a specific event?
- Or following the character in logical progression?
- Do you outline your entire story line before you write the opening paragraph?
- Does the world your characters live in get more description than they do?

Perhaps your answers will help you decide if you lean one way or another, towards
- Setting
- Plot
- Action
- Character

Is balance what you want? Don't ask me if balance is good. I haven't decided. But I am certain the reading population are just like us writers. Many prefer a specific style. 

The next time you recommend a book, perhaps you should ask them which is more important to them [Setting, Plot, Action, Character]. Where does the book you were considering recommending fit?

As a reader, I personally lean heaviest on action, secondly character.

I think as a writer, I lean toward character first, then action.

That isn't to say I don't want my books to have plot or setting. They certainly support my characters, and only accent my action. 

P and S makes my C and A better.

-R. Mac Wheeler
Home PageContact me On KindleOn NookSunday Safaris

2 comments:

  1. Do you imagine the character or the story line first?
    Me: character usually, often they are talking (in my head)

    - Do your crit partners complain you use too much or too little description?
    Me: never have yet

    - Is every scene oriented around a specific event?- Or following the character in logical progression?
    Me: not usually, again characters usually are begging me onward.

    - Do you outline your entire story line before you write the opening paragraph?-
    Me: not completely, but the thought of it all comes often in two places-while driving or mowing. Some of my best thoughts arrive then.

    Does the world your characters live in get more description than they do?
    Me: that's open to debate, to me no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of every writing day I type 'To do!' and then list the main events of the next chapter - about the only outlining I'm capable of. The bigger picture becomes clearer in the final edit when pruning and seeding takes place. But always I see everything through the character I'm writing about at any given moment - sometimes flitting to the mind of those he/she interacts with for a believable response.

    ReplyDelete