Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Writer's Voice – Guest Walter Golding


I think each writer has their own unique trigger, that moment of inspiration that prompts the first image, first plot, first words. For me, it always comes in the form of a face, and I ask that face, "What's your story?" I have to have that, otherwise my writing becomes contrived.

My stories tend to be character driven. Often the plot and outcome shift in progress, most importantly the character changes. 

I listen to the critiques of others, and pick up important points. Too much, too little description is not of major concern. We all have our style. Mostly, critiques serve as an excellent way to see if you’re getting your story across, if the words you’ve chosen generate the image and message you hope the reader will grasp.

Most scenes are event oriented; sometimes more than one scene is needed to bring an event fully into the story. I use multiple viewpoints, and breaking scenes makes that an easier read.

The protagonist, will always, in some way, be the object of a scene, and in that sense all scenes are character related. In my mind, the purpose of an event is to expose the nature of your characters, otherwise the scene is not needed.

Outline? No.

Sometimes I think I know where a story is going to go, only to be blown away by the twisted roads the characters race down, often against my will. I’m along for the ride and that’s what makes writing an adventure.


Walter…thanks for joining us.
Find Walter's new book on
Amazon.

-R. Mac Wheeler
Home PageContact me On KindleOn NookSunday Safaris

2 comments:

  1. A good pithy article, Walter. No one thing will spark off a story for me. Sometimes its a character. Sometimes 'the' character will emerge. Like you I enjoy the ride - each day an adventure - knowing roughly where you want to go but not quite knowing how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is an adventure! Yes, sometimes my stories go off in directions I never anticipated. I think that makes it more fun. There is always a way to adjust to make it all work together!

    ReplyDelete