Monday, June 18, 2012

Sleight versus Slight

As an editor…I am humiliated. Via a not-too intelligent sleight of usage, I slighted my latest manuscript, misusing sleight. I'm ticked at myself. I published Two Brothers using the word incorrectly about six times. I want to bonk myself in the head…but I hate pain. Have a very low tolerance. I'm a wuss.
No doubt there are more issues in the manuscript…but this one in particular turns my cheeks red. Arghhh!!!!

Slight--A deliberate discourtesy; a snub
Sleight--A clever or skillful trick or deception
-R. Mac Wheeler
Home PageFacebookContact me On KindleOn Nook

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain.
    I hate knowing that there's one misplaced comma in Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire. I can only imagine how you feel when your brain decided that the switched spellings were the "correct" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for a second edition :) It happens to the best of us, pal. And while word nerds everywhere will chuckle to themselves or roll their eyes, you can take comfort in knowing that the majority of the reading public will have no idea that there's anything wrong with your word choice. Isn't that ... nice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of you when I just found my latest error -- a character wearing a jacket in a scene where heat is an issue -- in what I thought was a final edit of my latest WIP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when I do that. Good you caught it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't beat yourself up too much. We all do it. I have a real problem with reign and rein!

    ReplyDelete