Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Jumping Heads


I'm reading a how-to and came across a nice, new way to describe POV/jumping heads:

Limiting yourself to a single POVC per scene or even a whole chapter is a far more effective and interesting means of weaving the story than flea-jumping from one head to another.
Nelson, Jill Elizabeth  (2012-03-28). Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View (p. 12).  . Kindle Edition.

I recommend this great review for every writer.


-R. Mac Wheeler
Home PageFacebookContact me On KindleOn Nook

5 comments:

  1. I agree with this--even though flea jumping is perfectly acceptable and tons of writers do it, as a reader I find it really distracting. It really trips me up and takes me out of the reading experience. Of course that's probably just me since it is so widely accepted to flea jump but I don't do it in my writing because as a reader I find it really distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you misunderstood my comment. I'm saying that I do NOT find flea jumping acceptable myself but that a crap-ton of authors writing today do it so although I personally do not find flea jumping acceptable, clearly the publishing industry does. What I said was I don't like it and I don't do it because it's distracting but fyi I recently read a few books by NYT bestselling authors and they all did it so obviously it is being done by successful authors. But no, I don't like it or find it acceptable. Sorry that wasn't clear.

    BTW, when I figure out how the heck to turn off the no-reply, I will. It too me a week to figure out what me being a "no-reply type" was! LOL. Sorry, not that tech-savvy!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I turned the no-reply off!

    Mwah hah hah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out, Mac, on Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View. It's a compilation of the best material I teach on the subject to writers groups. My hope is to provide valuable input to my fellow writers.

    ReplyDelete