Thursday, December 15, 2011

If Your Cover Designer says 'Urban'

If your cover designer asks you if you want an urban feel and you haven't a clue what that means, you go to Wikipedia:

Urban fiction, … tone … is usually dark, focusing on the underside. Profanity, sex, and violence are usually explicit, with the writer not shying away from or watering-down the material. In this respect, urban fiction shares some common threads with dystopian or survivalist fiction.

Okay…now I know what ‘urban’ means


Regards, R.Mac Wheeler   
Home Page    My Novels on Kindle    Blog

2 comments:

  1. So would that make certain crime/suspense novels urban? Very interesting by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I invite someone (most everyone) who is smarter than me to jump in, but I think there is room for confusion.

    My first expert of reference is Wikapedia, which calls an URBAN FANTASY simply as one that takes place in the city. Odd category. I've never heard of a suburban fantasy.

    I've certainly read novels being called 'dark.' A dark thriller. Never an urban thriller.

    All I know, is if your cover designer asks me if I want an urban feel, she's not talking about a city scape. wink

    ReplyDelete