Sunday, December 25, 2011

Free Books



 Just me mulling things, after downloading a few more free books.



Is it just me, or do you get the feeling too many authors are giving too many books away?

A mentor of mine is really big on the marketing of her brand via a free book.

But…uh…with so many free ones out there, there's really not a lot of reasons for readers to buy books. I mean…I can look at the titles on my Kindle. I've downloaded more free titles than I'll probably every be able to read.

With so many sitting there to read…I'm not motivated to buy my peers' books. Why should anyone buy mine?

Oh, I understand the logic. It puts your name out there, and if they like your style, your characters, your humor…they'll buy more. But what if they have 300 free ones on their Kindle right now, like I do?

I'm just asking.

Regards,
R. Mac Wheeler
Home PageBlogOn Kindle




3 comments:

  1. There are thousands of free books at my local library, yet I still buy books...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten lots of free books from conventions I've attended, but it still doesn't stop me from buying from my favorite authors. My time is limited. I read what I think I will enjoy at the time.

    But I know what you mean about there being so many freebies out there. You just have to make sure you wrote a great book where someone would rather pay to read yours over some freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If people are only reading these books because they're free, maybe they wouldn't have bought any others anyway?

    ReplyDelete