Monday, October 24, 2011

When Rules Collide


My YA suspense, Cockroach Crusade, fails to follow the wizdom that a hook requires action. You have to wait, oh my God! until the first line of the second chapter to get to the abduction.

My most recent critique recommended I start with the abduction.

But not knowing the characters, the action I argue, would have no context.

As a reader I hate to scratch my head. I love suspense, but I want the action to make sense as it happens.

Action only matters if you've created empathy for your character.

Regards,
Mac
Home Page ... Facebook ... About Warlock Apprentice

Coming to Amazon in days!

3 comments:

  1. Action only matters if you've created empathy for your character.


    That is definitely true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rules schmoolz. It either works or it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree w/ you on this one.

    ReplyDelete