Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Approach Self-Pub'ed Work With Reasonable Expectations

A fellow writer recently ripped self-published writers in her blog. Months ago I felt as she did.

In the last six months I've read maybe fifty novels, about half self-published, half traditionally published.

I think I've closed the same number unfinished. I've groaned over heavy tags and ridiculous plots equally. Yes, self-pub'd authors lack the support trad-pub'd authors do, legitimately don't spend the money for copy editing as we would like. Good editors are expensive. But to be fair, they don't put their work out there to make money—if they earned minimum wage at Micky D's for the time they spent writing and editing their novel they would be way ahead.

If you read a self-published author with unreasonable expectations, you will be disappointed.

But I have found no dross out there. Pay attention to the story, and the characters, listen to the author's voice, overlook the blemishes, and you will enjoy yourself.

When editors give away their services, then writers trying to build a following will have polished work.

Regards,
Mac
Home Page     Facebook    

Working on novel number nineteen!

3 comments:

  1. Well, everyone has to "earn" a living.

    I know what you mean about the "groan effect". And they usually have an amateurish look. But I think the Notes From Underground Anthology was beautifully put together and has a real pro look. Don't you? I'm still proud to be part of that and their new contest looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But real--ly, I've groaned many a time over trad-published novels too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I have a problem with the way self published authors are looked down upon. I won;t lie; I hope to get land an agent and go the traditional route, but that is not to say that there are some great self published authors out there

    ReplyDelete