Monday, July 18, 2011

"Worthy of being published," he wrote.

I just read a blog by a successful agent, and he pissed me off.

I've been reading a lot of self e-pubbed authors lately, and haven't read one title that was "bad." Often the copy editing left much to be desired. But then I've read authors with thirty books behind their name, and found typos, plot contradictions, and cliches out the kazoo. And I have closed the cover, unfinished, of many traditionally published authors.

The world has changed. The industry needs to catch up.

Consider returns. If the industry can't make money on those that slip through the gatekeepers today. . . .

It cannot take two and three years to get a work in print in this age of technology.

The printed novel as the centerpiece is the Beta of video.

And the pricing of soft copies of traditionally pubbed books is ridiculous. I laugh when I see e-novels on Amazon for $16 and more. How can they justify that?

Reminds me of agents who refuse to accept queries via email. They don't even realize they're dinosaurs. Look in the sky and see the dust eclipsing the sun.

"Worthy of being published." He insults both the writer and the reader. Agents scan hundreds of queries a week looking for excuses to discard them, because they only have time and slots available for a select few. The restrictions are created by the technology and process the industry sticks to. You cannot tell me only one in every three thousand manuscripts that come across an agent's desk is worthy of reading.

Sticking with cash cows and refusing to change only postpones the inevitable.

And don't insult us by implying only the agent is wise enough to pick a worthy manuscript.

Regards,
Mac
Home Page Facebook

Working on novel number nineteen!


 

7 comments:

  1. You're working on novel 19? Whoa, good luck!

    *wonders who agent was*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ref:
    And don't insult us by implying only the agent is wise enough to pick a worthy manuscript.


    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ;O)

    Calming a little from this morning. Out with the frustration. In with the calm.

    Yep, 18 novels and hardly a nibble.

    Tough to break in, but I don't need a holier than thou attitude from any agent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The times are definitely changing. I won't say that I think all self-pubbed books are worthy to be read - and I do respect the opinions of others when their reflection of art's subjectivity doesn't always match up with my own - but the traditional publishing industry is definitely in a scary fix right now. They've got a lot of squirming to in order to realign themselves with the new reality of the market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so much more tactful than me.

    I had something about comeuppance on my mind.

    But that's just wrong.

    Change is scary for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mac,

    I had already decided I liked you, but I like you even more now.

    I have noticed the same type of attitude from other agents/publishers before. It's very annoying to be treated as a nobody, even if it is from a distance.

    There is a market for all types of writing. Of course, any author worthwhile will try to put out the best product they can. And, the great thing about self publishing... we can improve on our books without incurring a huge loss if a typo is spotted after publishing.

    BTW - How are you coming on Lots Return to Sodom? I'm guessing you'll finish before I do. :-)

    ~JC~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JC -- my review is already out there. I don't expect Sandra will appreciate my remarks. It was on the edge of the negative at which I don't publish a review. But my negatives were all about things that could easily be resolved (should have been, at least) during the edit process.

    ReplyDelete