Monday, March 7, 2011

Sue Grafton – R is for Ricochet (2004)

So many books so little time. I love Kinsey Millhone. (Don't tell my wife!) What I learned from R may sound negative, but I don't mean it in that vein at all. Grafton shows how a novel doesn't have to be all about the action, and the overall plot.

The thread that carries from page one to the Epilogue is the least interesting facet of R. I got more than enough entertainment out of the quirky characters of Kinsey, her landlord and her boyfriend, Rose and her barman-husband, and Reba the emotional cripple.

Grafton takes us into the characters' lives, turns common curious, demonstrates the hope and agony of love, snaps every setting alive.

Write Every Day!

Regards,
Mac

3 comments:

  1. My dream has always been to read all the books in the series consecutively. From my own personal library of course. I had A - L but lost them in the great basement flood of 93.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I've only read one or two of Grafton's mysteries, I do think character development carries a book. Characters become more important in series, especially the secondary characters ... just like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on, Sue, what happens when you get to “Z”? Retire?

    ReplyDelete