Monday, February 14, 2011

Stuart Woods—The Prince of Beverly Hills(2005)

For the first time in many years, I enjoyed my first thirties-era crime drama, which twisted into three different noir-settings before it concluded. Kept me a little dizzy, but like I said, the ride was enjoyable because of Woods' excellent characters. Personally, I don't think I would mix so many differing plot-lines, but an author like Stuart Woods can get away with it.

Personally, I love a lot of incidental sub-plots to keep the protagonist off balance, and I don't always conclude all of them, either. But I would never completely change the direction of the overall plot. To me, it felt like Woods lost his way, got stuck without enough to fill the original plot, and instead of reworking it, he just went with the flow. If you don't mind the unexpected, you will love this like all of Woods' other work. If you like a tight plot, you probably should pass on this one and pick up another of his books.

Write Every Day!

Regards,
Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment