Monday, February 21, 2011

Culling Overused Words

We know about those passive/ filtering/ overused words we must work out of our manuscripts, but I didn't learn how badly they corrupt my writing until I discovered Wordle. The graphic makes the obvious stand out, but the word-counts the tool provides can help isolate those favorite words we abuse.

Over the last couple days I re-edited a manuscript I completed three years ago, which I have edited at least nine times already. Using Wordle, look at six words I found to clean up.

Write Every Day!

Regards,
Mac


2 comments:

  1. A useful tool. I was happy to see my main character's name being the most prominent item.
    Must study the site. I couldn't find the word count you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Hooray for Wordle. I know "probably" is one that I should probably cut more.

    ReplyDelete