Wednesday, December 8, 2010

THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN

Garth Stein (2008)

I finished ART OF RACING a week ago but I put aside writing this blog hoping to find clarity for the piece. It is such an emotionally packed novel, it was hard to leverage like I usually do, to learn the craft. I don't think a writer can learn heart. You either have it or you don't.

I laughed out loud. My chest constricted. My throat tightened. I sobbed. Yes, all six-foot-two, two-hundred-thirty pounds of me.

Stein used the most unique voice I've ever read, from the mind of Enzo, the most eloquent canine I've ever imagined. I will be mulling Stein's use of POV for months. I have a fairly extensive vocabulary considering my redneck roots. Enzo sent me to the dictionary several times. 

In all seriousness, I do NOT recommend this novel for anyone who deals with depression. For everyone else, this is a must read.

Write Every Day!

Regards,
Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment