Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lawrence Block – HIT PARADE

This 2006 novel kept me reading like novels are supposed to, eager for the next scene. Reading the dust jacket, I probably wouldn't have bought the book. Oh, what a mistake that would have been. The character was intriguing, even if I couldn't empathize. On his site, Block says this about his protagonist: "Keller, the urban lonely guy of assassins, wistful and introspective and lethal, is as unlikely a series character as I can imagine." Absolutely true, but you can't avoid flipping the page to see what he does next.

I get most of my books from friends, and from the bargain table, so I test drive a lot of authors I've never read before. In the future, I will be on the lookout for anything by Lawrence Block. His writing is enjoyable, and smooth for a Rockies two-lane, his frequent flashbacks intriguingly engaging.

Overall I give HIT PARADE ★★★★

Technical Composition.. ★★★★
Story.............................. ★★★★★
Characterization............ ★★★★
Style............................. ★★★★★
Edginess....................... ★★★★
Ahhhh factor................ ★★★
Sexiness...................... ★★

Write Every Day!

Regards,
Mac
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macwheeler/

No comments:

Post a Comment