Sunday, August 8, 2010

John Saul – MIDNIGHT VOICES

MIDNIGHT VOICES isn't a new release (2002), but via hand-me-down, I've had it on my shelf for many months. I was excited to read my first Saul novel. Perhaps expectations ruined me. I gave up on page 36.

I probably would have kept reading if I hadn't just finished another novel I sat through expecting it to improve. It may have, but I'm prejudiced now. Because NOW I know the writer is responsible for hooking me.

The first three chapters had all of those elements we writers are screamed at not to do, particularly back story and telling. The situation setting up the plot made me feel manipulated. There were way too many characters up front. The MC felt whiny. The voice just didn't reach me.

Write Every Day!

Regards, Mac
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macwheeler/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mac,
    I had to google this author because I'd never heard of him. The reviews were not that good. At least you found out early on to put it down and move on to the next book. I've read entire books just to loathe them when I turned the last page. It's a waste of time! I like to read books that leave a pang of nostalgia, yet a feeling of satisfaction when I close the book. I think it's better to find out from the get go.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete