Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cut The Flab

I know those I critique hate to see all those crossed out passages I leave in my wake. Every writer must ask this of every word they get on the page: Is it necessary? Here are word-choice examples that scream to be deleted:
  • Obviously
  • Clearly
  • In a bit
  • After a while
  • Nothing happened
  • Then
  • . . .
  • Anything telling
Those are the edits that can be made with a sledge hammer.

To maximize a piece's impact, it takes an impartial eye to find the next level of flab. I believe I write as precisely as any, but am shocked to see what others find in my work to cut. "How'd I write that!"

It takes an impartial eye and a scalpel to trim the underlying flab.

Write Every Day!

Regards,
Mac
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macwheeler/

5 comments:

  1. I keep a list of flabby words and do a search for them periodically.

    My list includes: just, was, realized, thought, that.

    Will have to add the ones you mentioned, too!

    You would be my kind of critiquer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,how are you today?I have surfed your blog serveral times, thanks for your information and photos. I will go on to follow your blog. If you have time, you can come to my blog and feel free give me some comment, more important thing is be follower!

    (My blog is sharebooksreview.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would add only one thing to your wise advice: sometimes, the extra words are used for transitions or flow. Is that a good thing? I don't know. I'm all about flow. I don't like choppy writing, and I don't mind wordy writing, either, if it works for the piece. But, yes, I'd say that trimming the flab is generally a good idea, especially when it's replaced by muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mac,
    How are the girls doing today? ;)
    Well, I hate flab as well. I try to emulate Hemingway in his economy of words. Nowadays, I'm mindful of my verb usage. I try not to abuse "be" in any form.
    However, I'm guilty of indulging in the occasional ellipsis and "then" ;) It's not so bad if I use them correctly.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went through my WiP. There were way too many "obviously"s and no "after a while"s so I considered it a draw. (Now there are fewer "obviously"s.)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete