Monday, April 5, 2010

ELEMENTS OF PLOT, Day 1 – Exposition

I read a lot of style books. The problem is keeping all that good information in my head while I write. To help me, I take notes and review it from time to time. Here, I press my studying a step further. I'm going to take a week and write about an element of plot each day. So here's to day one:

Exposition
Exposition is the introductory material which evokes the setting, creates the tone, presents the characters and other facts necessary to understanding the story. Consider it the glue that holds the characters and conflict together.

Don't confuse exposition with back story. Experts write about the taboo of including back story in the first chapter of a novel. However, if you don't wrap your action with rich exposition, you'll lose your reader by not giving them a reason to care about the risk involved in your conflict.

Write every day!

Regards,
Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment